Friday, May 13, 2011

Our last day in Utah--Just Call me "Master"

Our last day was so busy! The day before the last day, my mom and dad flew in from Dallas to Salt Lake around 9pm on Thursday, and then Mike flew in around 11:30pm. My awesome mom picked up Mike and took him home. I think it had been the longest time Mike and I have been apart since we got married. Mike drove all by himself to Tuscaloosa, AL with our tiny red car packed full of stuff the Sunday before my graduation. People were telling me, "Wow, you made your husband drive all by himself to Alabama?!" For the record, it was his idea. :) I spent that week studying for my 5 remaining finals, and reading 3 John Grisham paperbacks.

Bright and early Friday morning my parents came over, and we started cleaning and running errands. Mom and I cleaned, and Mike, Spock, and my Dad ran errands. Spock needed a checkup, so he could fly on the plane. My parents took Spock for the summer because our summer apartment doesn't allow pets.

We took a break from cleaning to watch me graduate! With my Masters! I walked to the Huntsman center (the basketball court) in my heels with a bag  full of books to sell back at the last possible minute. The U of U was so fast in graduation! They booked it! They rapid-fire listed our names one after another. There's no prayers, of course, no musical numbers, not quite the spectacle you get from BYU graduation. My fellow graduates and I didn't mind; we're all thinking about the free meal we're about to receive from our parents.

We had a lovely meal with my parents, Grandma, Grandpa, and Aunt Mary at Olive Garden, then we went back to work on cleaning our apartment. We took all our unwanted stuff to DI, and just left it outside because they were closed. Same with our food. We left our food outside of the Utah Food Bank. Guess I can't claim the donation on our taxes without a receipt...I was the last one to bed that night. My parents left before midnight, but I was up until 3am moving things around in our luggage, trying to get our bags under 50 pounds.

How did we spend our first day in Alabama? More Cleaning!! The bachelor we're subletting from is a hairy slob, and I'll leave it at that.




1 comment:

  1. Jen, You & Mike look amazing. What an awesome pic! 2011 is a great year for you both. Can't wait for you to now have time to keep up with your Blog! Love you both. I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete